Our House, your home
The Ronald McDonald House is a “home-away-from-home” that keeps families together when it matters most. When you and your family stay with us we want you to find the comfort and care of home. Most importantly, we want you to find the support you need to focus on what matters most – helping your child heal.
Here are some of the amenities we provide:
- Comfortable guest rooms with private bathrooms
- Shared living rooms, kitchens and dining areas
- Beautiful one-acre courtyard, with playgrounds and healing garden spaces
- Video game room, playrooms, TV, Wifi
- Caring environment where other families, volunteers and staff offer support
- A variety of evening activities for all family members
- A prepared meal each evening, and plenty of snacks and other foods you can fix for yourself during the day
Request a Room
Families staying at the Ronald McDonald House for the first time must have a referral from a staff member or medical provider at the hospital. Initial referrals usually come to us from a social worker, nurse or case manager.
Please be aware that a request for a room does not guarantee availability. Every family must call after 12 pm on the day they wish to arrive to be sure that they have a room.
completing an online request or calling the House at 919-913-2040.families (who have stayed within the past 18 months) can request a room by
Our check-in times are 2 pm – 8 pm. Guests 18 or older must have a photo ID to present at check in.
Patient’s home residence must be more than 35 miles from NC Children’s Hospital.
We do have a limited number of rooms for 4-6 people.
Only the patient’s immediate family members directly involved in the care of the patient or siblings are allowed to stay.
If you are staying with us for the first time, we will contact you when we receive your referral.
If there is no availability at the RMH on the day you wish to arrive, we can refer you to a local hotel at a reduced rate.
You only need to bring personal items.
The public bus provides service between the RMH and UNC Hospitals M-F. All Chapel Hill Transit buses are free for riders.
The Ronald McDonald House does not provide transportation for families.
Therapy dog teams visit the RMH each week.